The Ravellenic Games officially ended on Feb. 25th. All of the teams and individual ravthletes gathered in the stadium for the medal ceremonies, and there are so many amazing projects to celebrate.
The categories I competed in were:
- Cowl Curling – a flared button-up cowl based on El Gallo y La Gallina
- Cross Country Living – a mix of the Sock Mug, the stitch pattern from the Second Sock Syndrome Hat Minis, and leftover yarn from my Traveling Yarn Syndrome Hat
- Mitten Moguls – a pair of modified linen stitch wristwarmers made with a gradient yarn mini-skein set
- WIPs Dancing – my Tom on Bass cowl already in progress
I was only able to complete two of my four projects during the 17 days of competition. That said, I made good progress on the two unfinished projects, and I feel confident about continuing to work on them.
My finished projects are in the Cowl Curling and Cross Country Living categories. While I’m thinking about making some adjustments to the pattern, I’m very happy with how my Rooster Scarf turned out. I did two test knits in the weeks leading up to the Ravellenic Games to work out the design. It seems just a little too loose around the neck after blocking. I may reduce the width of the scarf slightly to correct the problem if I make another scarf with this pattern. For now, I’ll just move the buttons.
The Traveling Yarn Syndrome Mug knit very quickly and was just as fun to make as the hat. I have very little shetland wool left, but I still have plenty of scrap yarn left of all 5 Unicorn Tails. I’m already thinking of other projects to make with these wonderful yarns. Maybe something with a colorful fair isle design?
My Mitten Moguls project stalled just out of the starting gate due to gauge issues. The original pattern calls for knitting with two strands of fingering-weight yarn held double, but I preferred the look of a single strand of yarn. That meant doubling the number of stitches needed. I’m also knitting these fingerless mittens upside-down. The thumbhole won’t be added until the very end. Sound complicated enough? That’s not all. I’m also attempting to knit these mittens two at a time using magic loop, two techniques that are new to me. To help with this, I wound each of the 5 mini-skeins with both ends held together into center-pull cakes. This allows me to pull yarn for both mittens from the center of the yarn cake without much difficulty. I just need to make sure the two working yarns don’t get tangled. The finished mittens should be about 10.5″ long. My mittens only measure 0.5″ at the moment, but I’m starting to feel comfortable with the extra techniques I’ve added into the mix. I also know roughly when and how to incorporate the next color to maintain the gradient effect.
My WIPs Dancing project was the Tom on Bass cowl I started around Thanksgiving. Double knitting is a very new skill to me, but I’m feeling very comfortable with this technique! I re-did the chart in an extended version so that one square represented only two stitches instead of six. This made it easier for me to read on a first glance. The scarf was about 70% complete by the closing ceremony, and the design was really starting to shine through. It was about 50% complete at the start of the Ravellenic Games. There had been several mistakes along the way, but thankfully, they were all somewhat easy to fix. My goal is to finish and block it in the next two weeks so that I can still wear it once or twice before winter officially ends.
All in all, a successful Ravellenic Games! My next goal is to finish my Mitten Moguls and WIPs Dancing projects by the MN Yarn Shop Hop in early April, along with the sewing project I’ve been enjoying this week. I can’t wait to share those finished projects with you soon!